Halloween is one of our favorite holidays. With the excitement Halloween generates, it can be easy to forget the real dangers for your pets. Here’s a quick list of Halloween Pet Safety Tips you might want to keep handy this Halloween:
- Chocolate– The darker the chocolate the more poisonous to you pet. It contains caffeine and theobromine, can lead to various medical complications and even be fatal.
- Candy– Large ingestions of sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis, which may not show up for two to four days after the pet ingests the candy. Also, be cautious of candy covered in Xylitol, that powder substance you find on wrapped gum. It can be instantly deadly to pets
- Candy Wrappers– Can get stuck in your pet’s airway causing them too choke. Wrappers can also damage or block the digestive system.
- Raisins– Although a healthier treat for humans, it can cause kidney failure in cats and dogs.
- Costumes– We all love to see a pet in a costume and some of us dress up our own. However, be sure not to restrict movement, vision and more importantly airway movement.
These are just a very few of many safety tips and actions for survival that are covered in our PetTech First Aid and PetSaver classes. If you want to know more about pet safety, wellness and pet first aid/ CPR, come sign up for a class by clicking here.